Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Banana Cream Pie - RC Week 4

Oh yeah, you know this dessert immediately followed the deep dish pizza.  Thankfully, I was scheduled to re-start P90X the next day - if I could move.

I have to admit here, I've been way off my game in the cooking department.  Actually, in every department.  Mid-winter-is-this-ever-going-to-end depression has taken over.  I'm making mindless mistakes and just generally not caring when I do.  So, this pie contains mistakes.  Thankfully, it was still extremely delicious.  We'll call it an extra protein banana pie (I'll explain later).  Oh yeah, and there is rum in the whipped cream topping!  Hello!

Chicago's Banana Cream Pie - I halved the recipe since there was no way we NEEDED two banana cream pies in the house.  To make two pies, just double the ingredients.

Graham cracker pie crust
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 tsp sea salt
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 large banana, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice

Topping:
1 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp rum

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in heave saucepan.  Stir to mix.  Add milk, egg yolks and vanilla.  Whisk to combine.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  After it comes to a boil, continue to cook for 1 minute and then remove from heat.  Should be thickened at this point.

Sprinkle banana slices with lemon juice and toss to combine.  Place 1/2 of the custard mixture into the pie shell, top with banana slices and repeat this process.  Please filled shells in fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.

To serve, whisk topping ingredients until stiff peaks form.  Spread on pie. Or pipe into beautiful decorations - which I cannot do.  Then eat and try to stop at just one slice.  Good luck!
So where did I screw this one up?  Well, with the recipe directly in front of me, I read two egg yolks but proceeded to drop in only the whites and toss the yolks.  After discovering my mistake, I went ahead and added two egg yolks as well.  Perhaps it changed the texture a bit, but otherwise, it was still delicious!

6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Lovin' the rum whipped cream, wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great... and bananas can't be bad, right?! lol

    Your photos are great!!

    Make it a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pie looks delicious and I could really go for a slice right now! I've done that with recipes too and wonder sometimes if I can read and follow directions. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I could really go for some pie right now. Bananas are one of my favorite fruits to make desserts with, but I've actually never tasted banana cream pie! WHY?! do you say? I have no idea....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummmmmmmy!!! Love banana cream pie... this is going on the must make list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies. Stephanie - you are you try a banana cream pie at once!!

    I think I'll make this one again for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete