Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Stout Steak - RC Week 3

Yet another first today.  Never before have I prepared a recipe from a cookbook or magazine that did not have a corresponding picture.  In fact, one of my pet peeves are cookbooks with no pictures.  But, reading this recipe in Bon Appetit's What's New the Supermarket section, I had to give it a try despite the fact that is wasn't pictured in the magazine.  And, it sounded easy enough which is always great.

Rogue stout and two gorgeous strip steaks in hand (thank you Whole Foods), I gave it a whirl.
NY Strip with Stout Pan Sauce.  Oh yeah, I made a pan sauce.  And it was Eeee-z!

5 teaspoons Dijon mustard, divided
2 12-ounce New York strip steaks
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons all purpose flour
1 large garlic clove, pressed
1/2 cup low-salt beef broth
1/2 cup stout
1 tablespoon (packed) dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Spread 1 teaspoon mustard over steaks; sprinkle with salt and ground black pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook meat about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to plate; tent with foil. Wipe out skillet.

Mash butter and flour in small bowl; set aside. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 15 to 20 seconds. Add broth; bring to boil. Whisk in stout, brown sugar, soy sauce, 3 teaspoons mustard, and butter mixture. Boil until reduced to 2/3 cup, 2 to 3 minutes.

Thinly slice steaks; divide among plates. Drizzle sauce over and serve.
Notice those potato poppers from Rachel Ray last week?  They are very good as leftovers.
My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this meal.  I mean, it was sinfully delicious.  Didn't hurt that it was a kidless night, it immediately followed the tiki coconut drinks I posted yesterday, and we ate it at the coffee table while watching HGTV.  Ahhh, romance!  But seriously, this is a delicious pan sauce to serve over a high quality (or not) cut of meat.  My husband used the leftover sauce to pour over meatloaf the following day too.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow that looks amazing!!! I have 2 NY strip steaks in the freezer, I think they NEED to have this pan sauce ontop of them. Looks absolutely delicious! Your romantic evening sound much like ours, on the couch eating something amazing watching HGTV :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks so yummy!! And, btw, I too HATE not having a picture to accompany a recipe... how do I know what it is SUPPOSED to look like without a darn picture?! And really, how easy is it to take a photo??? Take 20 recipes outta your book and add pics!!

    Ok, off the rant now :P Plyo tonight... you have me scared now! I am hoping that it is not as bad as I think that it might be... I should say that it feels good to be focused again. This is gonna be MY round because I am bringing it like never before (I have to show the world my pics so I have no choice ;)

    Make it a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look amazing! The pan sauce smells wonderful :D

    Now how are you going to top that for Valentine's Day? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. It was quite the wonderful meal.

    @Lyndsey - I'm thinking that night, the husband will be cooking for ME. (and just my luck, it's a Monday - his cooking day). evil giggle.

    @Andrea - Nothing is more romantic than HGTV! Nothing! :)

    @Gaspe - you'll do fine. I've been feeling so tired and I'm sure that hindered my performance. But I made it through and did the bonus round as well. You will knock it out of the park I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yea, this looks and sounds fantastic! Will definitely be trying this one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete