Thursday, February 3, 2011

Turkey Chili - Recipe Challenge Week 2

When I saw Rachel Ray had a chili recipe in this month's issue, I knew I had to do it in order to compare it to Martha's we did last week.  In keeping with our one flop per week, this was it.  Sorry Rach, Martha kicked your butt big time in the chili round.  This came out like a oddly flavored ground turkey soup.  Thankfully my husband will eat anything, or this would've gone right in the trash.  The kids picked out the turkey on this one and then dipped chips in the "broth" so not a total loss.

Easy Turkey Chili

2 lbs ground turkey
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, grated

2 scotch bonnet chile peppers, finely chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 scant palmful sweet smoked paprika or sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper
2 cups chicken stock
One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with chiles
One 12-ounce bottle lager beer
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar 

Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chile peppers. Stir in the thyme, paprika, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, beer, worcestershire, brown sugar and vinegar; simmer to combine the flavors, about 5 minutes. Serve.
I just looked up the reviews for this one on the Rachel Ray site.  Not good.  Should've checked there before trying this one.  Oh well.

6 comments:

  1. Ha! as long as you learned something1 :D Isn't it nice to have husband that will eat anything we cook?

    I usually don't make any chili other than my own. I have perfected the spices, meats and liquid...to suit our family anyway!...except white chili. I haven't posted it yet...my chilli, but I did post my white chili...anyway Okay I'll stop talking now! Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does look like soup - not chili. Glad the hubby ate it, mine's like that too, he'll eat anything :) Don't you hate it when you look at the reviews AFTER making the dish? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, he said he'd eat it, but yesterday I threw it out. Really bad dish if he wouldn't even eat it! LOL

    Lyndsey - I'll have to check out your white chili. Sounds delicious. My go-to recipe for chili will now be Martha's from last week. I still think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it looks more like soup than chili. That's quite of combo of ingredients for sure. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are nice, at least you had that ;P It really does not resemble chili at all... which would be fine if it tasted great because you could have just renamed it. hehe.

    Make it a great day.... and I hear ya about feeling flabby! I can't wait until Monday to start over. I am going to keep you accountable... you ready?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're funny. It's just as important to share the failed recipes as the successful ones. I am so thankful for those online reviews, because it saves one dinner disaster after another.

    ReplyDelete