Friday, February 4, 2011

Light Stuffed Taters - Recipe Challenge Week 2

Another week down!  We have successfully completed two weeks of the month-long recipe challenge.  After today, I will bid farewell to Rachel Ray and move on to the next mag, Bon Appetit.  I will admit, I'm nervous about that one.  It's fancy (pronounced fun-sea, of course).  :)

Ok, back to this week.  After a week of cheesy, fattening goodness, I chose one of the "light" recipes in the magazine.  There were only two so it was an easy choice.  Rachel doesn't do too many diet-friendly dishes.  And, I had some broccoli that needed to be used up anyway.

Here's an easy peasy recipe for cute little stuffed potatoes.  These were yummy!

7 small yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as yukon gold
1 cup broccoli florets
2 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons reduced-fat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeño chile
Salt and pepper
Olive oil cooking spray
Chili powder, for sprinkling

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until fork-tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan of boiling water, cook the broccoli until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes; drain. Finely chop the broccoli and place in a medium bowl.

Slice 6 potatoes in half. Scoop out half of the flesh from each piece and add to the broccoli. Peel and finely chop the remaining potato and add to the mixture. Add the cheese, yogurt and the jalapeño; mash coarsely and season with salt and pepper.

Preheat the oven to 425. Arrange the potato halves cut side down on a baking sheet and lightly coat them with cooking spray; invert and season with salt and pepper. Divide the stuffing among the potato halves. Lightly coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with chili powder. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Garnish chili powder.
Trying to scoop out the middle of these teeny guys was no picnic, but the end result was a fun little appetizer popper. The tangy bite from the yogurt paired well with the broccoli and chili powder.  I would make these again.

6 comments:

  1. They look great! I love watching Rachel Ray her recipes are awesome (i use her fudge recipe and everyone loves it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those baked potato halves look wonderful! I like the cheesy filling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....SO good looking!!!! WOW cant wait to see some from the new * Facny * mag lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look DIVINE! Really, truly divine. I love how you post recipes! I'm really lazy so I don't make a habit of cooking for myself, but i am so starting now. I almost bought a cooking magazine instead of ELLE the other day!! I'm improving!! ^_^

    nesha
    http://thebuttonowl.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there all. Yes, these were a fun little recipe.

    Nesha - I think it's funny that you're trading Elle for a cookbook and I'm starting to trade my cookbooks for Elle. LOL Now that I can cook (somewhat), I want to look better doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look delightful! Did you use a melon baller to scoop? Just think of the possabilities with these! Yum!

    ReplyDelete