Sunday, August 29, 2010

Menu - August 29th (Insanity start date)

A few of the lovely ladies over at Beachbody have asked me to diary my meals for a week or so.  I am happy to give it a try but will mention that I do not follow the Beachbody workout diet plans.  Although there are many great food choices in the plans and I have used several of the recipes included, I just find following a written diet plan a recipe for failure (pardon the pun).  I try to keep my eating clean, healthy and somewhat balanced.  I am not, however, a dietitian (yet) so I cannot say that I meet all RDAs, etc., but I do try to keep my protein and carb intake on the higher side while participating in these crazy workouts.

As I may have mentioned, my husband and I are starting Insanity today.  Insanity is a 60 day workout plan.  It is pretty intense from what I have heard and seen.  Today will be a fit test day.  We will have a number of exercises to do and a minute to perform as many repetitions as possible.  The fit test will occur weekly (or bi-weekly, can't remember offhand) and is used to track progress and increases in strength and stamina.  We are off to a rocky start already as I allowed my husband to talk me into doing this tonight instead of this morning.  Hopefully, we will be doing the program in the mornings from now on, or we will be doing them separately.

OK, here's today's meals.  I am including everything I ate - even the bad stuff although that was gone so fast, I didn't even have time to take a photo!  :)

Breakfast:
One slice of spelt bread toasted with a teeny touch of butter, two hard boiled eggs of which I consumed one of the yolks and both whites.  The dog got the other yolk - he likes hard boiled egg day.  Also had one skinless chicken breakfast sausage and a sweet fig.  Washed it down with a calcium fortified glass of OJ (no pulp).

Lunch:
I went to my farmer's market this morning and they were having a special on whole wheat pizzas.  Two for $5 - I can't make two pizzas that cheap, so we had a little treat.

A powdered sugar coated apple cider donut was consumed post-farmer's market visit.  I fought the urge to have a second though (baby steps)!

Dinner:
Fig/balsamic coated chicken sausage and tomato kabobs with grilled corn on the cob that was marinated in a coconut lime chili sauce.  I made a side salad of baby spinach, baby herbs, pears, walnuts and dried cranberries.  Topped the salad with Annie's light raspberry vinaigrette.

Our post-fit test dessert will be a honey almond custard with fig chutney.  I used 2% milk for the custard and halved the sugar in the chutney, but this is still kind of a splurge.

Recipes for the dinner will be posted throughout this week.

So I'm sure by now you can tell that I'm not good with the veggies!  I really don't like most of them I will admit.  I will try to do better tomorrow most likely by having my salad for lunch and at dinner and by doing some broccoli tomorrow night.  I also put some pumpkin puree into my pancake mix for the morning.

Other than the morning OJ, I drink water for the remainder of the day.  LOTS of water.

Now, if you are like me and get a thrill out of watching other people's pain, here are some Youtubers experiencing the Insanity fit test for the first time.  I will NOT be posting a video of me!  :)

Insanity Fit Test 1 - average, every day kinda guy
Insanity Fit Test 2 - already fit female

6 comments:

  1. If I documented what I ate for a week I'd probably cry my eyes out! I eat really bad, my mom would cringe. Although I am starting to eat my veggies in broccoli salad form. mmm cheese and bacon. Oh and broccoli of course.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya Kitten. It's hard to think of the good stuff as tasting as good as the bad stuff - it just doesn't. But, I'm nearing the big 40 and I just can't burn the bad stuff off like I used to. :( Although your broccoli, bacon & cheese sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with Insanity!!! I'm starting the X on Wednesday!!! Funny how we're flip flopping our workouts! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laura. I know, that is so funny. I can't wait to hear what you think. I'm going to assume you'll miss the cardio and probably sub in some Insanity routines somewhere - but that's just a guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL... As of right now, I am packing up Insanity. After 130 days of it, I'm tired. I plan on following P90X straight through... then probably will do a hybrid of sorts. How did the fit test go?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to hear what you think Laura. You will definitely gain muscle tone and I can't wait to see your already flat abs when you are done.
    Just posted my fit test results. They are somewhat similar to your Day 1 numbers! :)

    ReplyDelete