Friday, June 25, 2010

Cookies Too!!

Bit of a theme this week.  My kids have been asking where all the snacks have gone so I was on the hunt to find some new goodies that I can feel good about giving to them.  And hey, mom likes cookies too!

Today's experiment came from my old favorite, Clean Living magazine.  I did not modify this recipe and it can be found in the March/April 2010 issue.  Almond Butter Chocolate Chip cookies - now doesn't that sound yummy.  Here's how we do it:

1 cup unsalted almond butter (LOVE the grinders at Whole Foods for this)
3/4 cup sucanat (dehydrated cane juice - looks like brown sugar)
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
dark chocolate (in chip or chunk form, whatever you like best)

Heat oven to 350.  Stir together the almond butter, sucanat, egg, baking soda and salt until well combined.  Add your chocolate and spoon onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake for about 10 - 12 minutes and cool on a wire rack.

Do be careful moving these around.  They lack the fat that typically holds cookies together.  They are quite crumbly but OH, SO GOOD!  Yup, good enough to warrant all caps.  Definitely try these (but don't dunk in milk, studies show that the milk may negate any benefit you are getting from the dark chocolate).

Kid review - my extremely picky daughter only took one bite.  I think they were a little dry for her.  My son will eat them when he realizes all our usual crap is gone (that is if my husband hasn't finished them off by now).  :)


Nutritional info (per cookie): 110 calories; 8g total fat; 1.5g sat fat; 10g carbs; 1g fiber; 2g protein; 10mg cholesterol; 3g sugars

No comments:

Post a Comment