Friday, June 18, 2010

Packet Cooking

I have made a kind of shrimp/fish boil in a foil pouch before and loved it (and you can NOT beat the easy clean up).  I was happy to see some recipes for "packet cooking" in Clean Eating Magazine this month.

Early in the week I made Jambalaya.  We had it once for dinner and several times for lunch throughout the week.  It has a great little spicy heat to it.

1 lb large shrimp, peeled & deveined
cubed chicken breast
sliced turkey sausage
1 white onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
4 cloves garlic
salt-free creole seasoning (to taste)
2 cups instant brown rice
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
pepper (to taste)
cooking spray for foil

I like to make this on the grill, but if using the oven, preheat to 400.  Prepare foil sheets for three large packets, spray foil with cooking spray.  Combine all ingredients and mix to combine.  Evenly divide among foil sheets and seal packets.

If using oven, place packets on a baking sheet.  Cook for 25 minutes or to desired doneness.  Serve hot and enjoy!





My take - This was really yummy.  I loved the spicyness of the creole seasoning (which I had never used before).  One thing I will do differently next time is I will brown the sauages before putting in the packets.  The way the sausage boils or whatever it does in the packet causes it to come out very, well, boiled looking.  Not appetizing (although it was still delicious)!  I don't have a kid review as they were not home the night I made it for dinner.

Anybody have any other "packet" recipes they use?

No comments:

Post a Comment